- n a relatively small granular particle of a substance
a grain of sand
a grain of sugar
- n foodstuff prepared from the starchy grains of cereal grasses
- n the side of leather from which the hair has been removed
- n a weight unit used for pearls or diamonds: 50 mg or 1/4 carat
- n 1/60 dram; equals an avoirdupois grain or 64.799 milligrams
- n 1/7000 pound; equals a troy grain or 64.799 milligrams
- n dry seed-like fruit produced by the cereal grasses: e.g. wheat, barley, Indian corn
- n a cereal grass
wheat is a grain that is grown in Kansas
- n the smallest possible unit of anything
there was a grain of truth in what he said
he does not have a grain of sense
- n the direction, texture, or pattern of fibers found in wood or leather or stone or in a woven fabric
saw the board across the grain
- n the physical composition of something (especially with respect to the size and shape of the small constituents of a substance)
sand of a fine grain
a stone of coarse grain
- v thoroughly work in
His hands were grained with dirt
- v paint (a surface) to make it look like stone or wood
- v form into grains
- v become granular
- Minara and her neighbor, Rezina Begum, whose husband is an invalid, are still receiving grain handouts, but these may end by next year.
- As union protests go, the campaign led by AFL-CIO President George Meany and maritime union chiefs against the latest Soviet purchase of American grain is unusual, to say the least.
- Some of the recent estimates of Soviet grain requirements are frightening.
News & Articles
- GRAIN HIGHLIGHTS: Top Stories Of The Day
GRAIN HIGHLIGHTS: Top Stories Of The Day
June 13, 2013 - Nasdaq
- Grain futures mixed in rangebound trade after USDA report
Investing.com - U.S. grain futures were mixed during early U.S. morning hours on Thursday, as investors continued to digest the previous session's U.S. Department of Agriculture's monthly report
June 13, 2013 - Nasdaq
- Grain News
St. Paul, MN— CHS Inc. (NASDAQ: CHSCP), an energy grains and foods company and the nation's leading farmer-owned cooperative, and Elburn Cooperative , an integrated grain and ag retail company headquartered in Sycamore, Ill., announced June 13 creation of a joint venture company which will offer agronomy retail products and services.
June 13, 2013 - Grainnet.com
- Cody Ross in The Associated Press
We hear speculation, this guy, that guy. It's almost like trade rumors,Marlins outfielder Cody Ross said. "You take it all with a grain of salt. Whoever they put in there can hopefully get us going and get us to be one of those final eight...
- Kent Desormeaux in International Herald Tribune
My whole job in that first half-mile was to keep his face clean,Desormeaux said. "There's not a grain of sand on most of his body."
- Mike Rowe in SYS-CON Media
Mark is going against the grain on this decision and he knows that. He knows that coming out early is a tremendous challenge for a quarterback and the statistics don't back up that it's easy to be successful in the way that he's going about... Pete Carroll http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Carroll&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGv1SJqJvJYVYFDxm6SIIz7fJgcSA USA Today http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/pac10/2009-01-15-usc-sanchez_N.htm&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGZYeUozWnp0Mw0VmAEkWW9YpeDHw Jan 15, 2009
43202 59233 grainger The people at Grainger have always known the importance of 'getting it done' for their customers," said Mike Rowe , creator and host of Discovery Channel's "Dirty Jobs" and advocate of Grainger's customers. "It's with that same passion and...