- n extinct East Germanic language of the ancient Goths; the only surviving record being fragments of a 4th-century translation of the Bible by Bishop Ulfilas
- n a heavy typeface in use from 15th to 18th centuries
- n a style of architecture developed in northern France that spread throughout Europe between the 12th and 16th centuries; characterized by slender vertical piers and counterbalancing buttresses and by vaulting and pointed arches
- a characteristic of the style of type commonly used for printing German
- a of or relating to the language of the ancient Goths
- a of or relating to the Goths
- s as if belonging to the Middle Ages; old-fashioned and unenlightened
- s characterized by gloom and mystery and the grotesque
gothic novels like `Frankenstein'
News & Articles
- Belfast’s The Gothic makes ‘health food for everybody’
Head Chef Jason Paul (from left) of Los Angeles, General Manager Simone Powers of San Francisco and acclaimed chef Matthew Kenney, a Searsport native, stand outside of The Gothic, their new restaurant venture, this week.
June 11, 2013 - Bangor Daily News
- Running With Scissors is at its absurd best with Southern Gothic 'Hell's Belles'
This 'comic cocktail of the Confederacy' becomes a hearty dose of Southern Gothic, with a splash of Grand Guignol excess, resulting in an over-the-top journey of laughs.
June 11, 2013 - New Orleans Times-Picayune
- Gothic Milwaukee: 10 great buildings
One could expend a lot of verbiage on Gothic churches here, so to make sure this list of 10 great Gothic buildings in Milwaukee doesn't become a list of 10 Gothic churches in Milwaukee, I've limited myself to one house of worship. You may or may not agree about these buildings being the best examples of Gothic architecture in Milwaukee but you can't deny they are all landmarks and lovely ones at ...
June 9, 2013 - OnMilwaukee.com
- Simon Cowell in Tivyside Advertiser
It's all a bit Dracula and his bride,Cowell said. "It actually got quite uncomfortable. It was all a bit dark and gothic and I kind of just feel you two just want to go back to your hotel room."
- Dan Brown in guardian.co.uk
I found the high court building to be a magnificent example of neo-Gothic architecture; I look forward to returning soon to view it from a vantage point other than the witness stand,Mr Brown said. "After devoting so much time and energy to...
- Leighton Meester in AceShowbiz (blog)
Speaking of what she knows about GaGa's cameo, Leighton Meester said "It was really cool. It was very avant garde and kind of gothic, and she's pretty cool, so it was very fun."