- s lacking social polish
too gauche to leave the room when the conversation became intimate
their excellent manners always made me feel gauche
- It is considered gauche to turn on a cellphone in a concert hall during performances.
- In the present economic climate, buying a pair of shoes with a five digit price tag appears gauche.
- The budding Remy-Linguini friendship grows naturally, without clamor or shtick--quite a feat, considering how dense and gauche the young man can be.
- Nursultan Nazarbayev in Reuters.uk
The advice in relation to democratic change, some of it from individuals who had been in my country for only hours, was spectacularly gauche,Nazarbayev wrote about the experts who urged him to establish political freedoms after splitting from...
- Bob Cousy in Boulder Daily Camera (subscription)
Many of today's athletes feel that "if you're good and you're also gauche, you'll be even richer, even more famous," Cousy noted in a recent speech at the University of Rhode Island. "Whatever happened to our humble heroes? Would Babe Ruth -...
- Jean-Paul Sartre in Monthly Review
I didn't become political until last year  when I understood the political significance of '68 and when I joined the GP (La Gauche ProlÃ©tarienne-a Maoist-inspired group committed to continuing the 1968 worker/student alliance),Sartre says.