gamete : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a mature sexual reproductive cell having a single set of unpaired chromosomes
- To increase the chances of implantation, many doctors are now inserting egg and sperm into the Fallopian tube, a procedure known as GIFT (for gamete intra-Fallopian transfer).
- Asch was trying to find a simpler way to do IVF, one that would not require the skills of an embryologist, when he hit upon the procedure he called gamete intra-Fallopian transfer .
News & Articles
- Personal Genomics Firm 23andMe Patents Designer Baby System
An anonymous reader writes "Consumer genomics company 23andMe has developed a system for helping prospective parents choose the traits of their offspring, from disease risk to hair color. The patent — number 8543339, "Gamete donor selection based on genetic calculations" — describes a technology that would take a customer's preferences for a child's traits, compute the likely genomic outcomes of ...
Oct. 3, 2013 - Slashdot
- Company Patents First Designer Baby Maker. Now What?
Consumer genomics company 23andMe can help parents-to-be pick and choose from a list of traits their offspring could have — but says it won’t apply its DNA-based system to generate babies to order. The patent, which was filed in 2008 and granted September 24, worries ethicists and the genetics community since it includes a “gamete donor selector” that would allow couples to have their sperm and ...
Oct. 3, 2013 - Wellness
- Gerald Schatten in guardian.co.uk
In a statement released over the weekend Dr Schatten added: "My decision is grounded solely on concerns regarding oocyte [female gamete] donations in Dr Hwang's research reported in 2004."