foraging : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the act of searching for food and provisions
- v collect or look around for (food)
- v wander and feed
- There, in a barn he converted into a lab, he began foraging for his next big hit.
- On open grasslands, one parent would have a hard -- and dangerous -- time handling a child while foraging for food.
- Returning from one such mission of foraging and gunboat diplomacy, Smith found disgruntled settlers trying to commandeer a ship back to London.
News & Articles
- Turtles turn to gelatinous prey
While loggerhead turtles have been investigated to try and find out how best to conserve this endangered species, new techniques with tiny data-collectors show video and positional information about their foraging.
June 16, 2013 - EARTHtimes.org
- Research shows shift in Hawaiian petrel foraging
Researchers say they've documented changes in the foraging habits of Hawaiian petrels. A study recently published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences examined the bone chemistry of modern Hawaiian petrels and sub fossils as old as 4,000 years. The bones indicated older birds ate a diet of relatively large prey high on the food chain. Birds less than a century old ate ...
June 14, 2013 - KITV Honolulu
- Neil Warnock in ITV.com
I knew it wouldn't be an open game but I told the players at half-time to keep foraging and the opportunity would come,said Warnock. "We were on our game at bit more today. You could say Barnsley had the cup on their minds, but they didn't...
- EO Wilson in The Guardian
If you have a group of ants that are foraging,Wilson says, "that group has, in its communal mind, a pretty clear idea of every square inch of the terrain around the nest. Then there is a lot of experience in the colony among ants who only...
- Natalie Angier in Livemint
In explaining an experiment on what separates worker bees from foraging bees, Angier writes: "Through each evidentiary strand, and every corresponding control, still the discovery held. Unless the foraging gene blazed on, the bee didn't budge. A...