- n a bland custard or pudding especially of oatmeal
- n meaningless ceremonies and flattery
- He has now proposed a new and costly round of corporate tax breaks and a summer gasoline-tax holiday that is just the sort of flummery he has traditionally opposed.
- It was the kind of thing I have seen "work" throughout my nearly 40-year career as a journalist, an era that coincided neatly with the rise of consultant-driven flummery: you could .
- Jefferson was so opposed to Old World pomp and flummery that he wanted George Washington to be inaugurated privately in the general's own home.
News & Articles
- A 150-year-late Gettysburg Address retraction and 5 other ridiculously belated apologies
This retraction took the form of an editorial, formally recanting an infamous editorial by the paper's Civil War predecessor, The Patriot & Union, belittling Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address as forgettable flummery. You can read the original editorial in The Patriot-News' retraction or the accompanying article explaining how the paper "earned itself an enduring place in history for having ...
Nov. 15, 2013 - The Week via Yahoo! News