firewall : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n (colloquial) the application of maximum thrust
he moved the throttle to the firewall
- n (computing) a security system consisting of a combination of hardware and software that limits the exposure of a computer or computer network to attack from crackers; commonly used on local area networks that are connected to the internet
- n a fireproof (or fire-resistant) wall designed to prevent the spread of fire through a building or a vehicle
- A popular free firewall, ZoneAlarm 2.
- Primarily, videoconferencing struggles to negotiate network firewall protections.
- While some tech-savvy surfers can find ways through the firewall and past Web police monitors, the vast majority of China's 100-million online population will search in vain for .
News & Articles
- LATEST NEWS
NEW YORK (AP) — Five female Emergency Medical Service officers announced a $1 million settlement of a seven-year-old gender discrimination lawsuit against New York City on Friday, breaking what their attorney called the department's "female firewall."
June 15, 2013 - Greenwich Time
- Remote Management Software reaches beyond firewalls.
With capabilities extending behind customer firewall, VNOC Symphony® with Communicator Proxy eliminates complexity of remotely managing devices within protected network. Communicator Proxy provides standards-based polling of all devices within customer's network and reports information back to cloud in real-time; communication is minimized to single device traversing customer security measures ...
June 14, 2013 - ThomasNet
- PRISM Fallout Part 2: Companies Will Store More Data Behind The Firewall
The controversy surrounding the U.S. government's reported monitoring of online data via FISA court orders and projects like PRISM may have far-reaching implications for users of public cloud computing. Specifically, it could drive more enterprise customers towards storage solutions that are held behind the corporate firewall. File-storage service ownCloud, for example, is already seeing ...
June 11, 2013 - ReadWriteWeb
- Bill Clinton in USA Today
Martin is the bridge, Chambliss is the firewall,Clinton said. "Don't let Georgia put a firewall up in front of the bridge."
- Sheldon Whitehouse in Kansas City Star
Mr. Sampson's place, smack in the middle of it, gives a good perspective into the Department of Justice, into the White House and into the apparent failure of the firewall between the two,said Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, DR.I., a former US...
- Charles Grassley in Huffington Post (blog)
If the credit rating agencies are going to make a contribution to market integrity, then they can't be compromised,said Grassley. "This amendment creates a firewall so that a rating agency can be selected independent of an issuer. It goes...