file : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a set of related records (either written or electronic) kept together
- n a line of persons or things ranged one behind the other
- n office furniture consisting of a container for keeping papers in order
- n a steel hand tool with small sharp teeth on some or all of its surfaces; used for smoothing wood or metal
- v record in a public office or in a court of law
file for divorce
file a complaint
- v smooth with a file
file one's fingernails
- v proceed in line
The students filed into the classroom
- v file a formal charge against
- v place in a container for keeping records
- Lawyers for Roman Polanski filed a motion in court Tuesday asking that the director be released from Swiss custody the first step in his legal battle to avoid extradition.
- File-sharing networks like Napster allow a world of strangers to search one another's hard drives for information and entertainment including the red-hot music files known as .
- The White House says Marceca obtained the confidential files by mistake because the Secret Service had supplied him with an inaccurate list of holdovers from the previous .
News & Articles
- Futures File: Fed announcement rocks market
Here is this week's edition of Futures File, our weekly commodities wrap-up: Fed's words melt metals The U.S. Federal Reserve continued indicating in an announcement on Wednesday that it was going to end its stimulus program.
June 21, 2013 - The Topeka Capital-Journal
- Four schools file lawsuits against CIF Southern Section
The private high schools collectively file three lawsuits to challenge the Southern Section's decision to place them in the parochial area. Four private high schools based in Southern California filed lawsuits in U.S. District Court on Thursday challenging the CIF Southern Section's decision to place the schools' sports programs into a competition area with similar parochial schools.
June 21, 2013 - Los Angeles Times
- Can Microsoft’s exFAT file system bridge the gap between OSes?
Hands-on with exFAT, which blows past the FAT32 4GB file size limit.
June 21, 2013 - Ars Technica
- Sepp Blatter in Montreal Gazette
It is obvious that after the experience so far in this World Cup it would be a nonsense to not reopen the file of technology at the business meeting of the International FA Board (IFAB) in July,Blatter said at a media conference....
- Barack Obama in Wall Street Journal
I want every American to know that we will rewrite the tax code so that it puts your interests over any special interests,Mr. Obama said. "And we'll make it easier, quicker and less expensive for you to file a return, so that April 15th is...
- Condoleezza Rice in Reuters
I told him that I was sorry and I told him that I myself would be very disturbed if I learned that somebody had looked into my passport file,Rice told reporters at the start of a meeting with Brazil's defense minister.