- s not produced by natural forces
brokers created a factitious demand for stocks
- Director Alan Parker may have intended this story -- about Japanese Americans interned during World War II -- as atonement for his factitious Mississippi Burning.
- Detectives always look for patterns among criminals, and Refai's factitious marriage was similar to that of some suspected al-Qaeda operatives in Germany, who married German women .
- Of all the things for which the hearts of tabloid newspaper editors currently yearn, one of the dearest is newsor even the barest rumor, hint or factitious mentionof a baby.
- Susan Haack in Los Angeles Times
As philosopher Susan Haack wrote in 1997, Rortyism "induces a factitious despair of the possibility of real inquiry of any kind."