escudo : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n formerly the basic monetary unit of Portugal; equal to 100 centavo
- n the basic unit of money on Cape Verde; equal to 100 centavos
- Draconian measures such as the summary execution of black marketeers, an across-the-board freeze on wages and the drastic devaluation of the escudo have stabilized prices.
- Further import controls may be imposed, accompanied by a large devaluation of the escudo.
- Traders wrestled, last week, with the baht; tcher-vontzi (Russian); lei (Rumanian); zloty (Polish); escudo (Portuguese); quetzal (Guatemalan).