endemic : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a disease that is constantly present to a greater or lesser degree in people of a certain class or in people living in a particular location
- n a plant that is native to a certain limited area
it is an endemic found only this island
- a of or relating to a disease (or anything resembling a disease) constantly present to greater or lesser extent in a particular locality
diseases endemic to the tropics
food shortages and starvation are endemic in certain parts of the world
- a native to or confined to a certain region
the islands have a number of interesting endemic species
- s originating where it is found
- Malaria is endemic to the tropics but the variants are spreading in other latitudes.
- And Bush was an early and enthusiastic supporter of our initiative to establish a fund for combating endemic illnesses.
- Influenza, tertian fever, leprosy were all endemic, along with tapeworm and a mysterious intestinal infestation that made its victim long to eat earth.
News & Articles
- New York Has Its Very Own Military Sexual Assault Problem
As Congress tries, unsuccessfully , to find some outside way to curb military sexual assaults, a new investigation into "officer misconduct" is on in New York's very own Air National Guard, where a retired lieutenant colonel in the 109th Airlift Wing (which flies huge, ski-going cargo planes) says the problem of sexual misconduct is endemic.
June 14, 2013 - New York Magazine
- Belgian Awful: Ambassador's Prostitute Excuse Won't Help State's Coverup Case
The tabloid favorite amongst the brewing new State Department investigations isn't the alleged Baghdad drug-ring cover-up, or the alleged Honduras killings cover-up, or even the alleged cover-up of Hillary Clinton's security detail for an "endemic" solicitation of prostitutes. No, the sexiest of the Foggy Bottom probes — all of which State officials are trying to explain away — has to do with ...
June 12, 2013 - The Atlantic Wire via Yahoo! News
- State Dept. Dismisses Allegations of 'Endemic' Misconduct
In the wake of a CBS News report of charges of wrongdoing at the State Dept., spokeswoman pledges full investigation; says any impropriety "hardly endemic"
June 11, 2013 - KTVA Anchorage
- Patrick Fitzgerald in San Diego Union Tribune
US Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald said he is looking into "very serious allegations of endemic hiring fraud."
- Barack Obama in Forbes
Very many people sat up and listened, but the government didn't like it,Said Obama said of his nephew's speech. "It touched a nerve they didn't want touched. The corruption is endemic here and tribalism cannot escape your eyes - you just...
- Sir Menzies Campbell in International Herald Tribune
The unpalatable truth is this ...... we will leave behind a country on the brink of civil war, where reconstruction has stalled, where corruption is endemic and a region which is a lot less stable than it was in 2003,Campbell said.