egypt : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a republic in northeastern Africa known as the United Arab Republic until 1971; site of an ancient civilization that flourished from 2600 to 30 BC
- n an ancient empire to the west of Israel; centered on the Nile River and ruled by a Pharaoh; figured in many events described in the Old Testament
News & Articles
- Egypt cuts ties with Syria
Egypt's Morsi severs diplomatic relations with Syria.
June 16, 2013 - GlobalPost
- Egypt to sell $550 mln in 1-yr dollar T-bills at Monday auction
CAIRO (Reuters) - Egypt will offer $550 million in 1-year, dollar-denominated treasury bills at a auction on Monday, the central bank said. The bills will roll over $526 million in similar one-year bills that mature on June 18. At its last auction on May 13, the bank sold $1.25 billion of dollar-denominated bills at an average yield of 3.844 percent. The bank introduced the dollar T-bills in ...
June 16, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Egypt’s Perilous Drift
Egypt is a mess. But there is hope in the young environmentalists.
June 15, 2013 - New York Times
- Condoleezza Rice in CNN International
We are very much applauding the efforts of a number of states, particularly the effort that President Mubarak has undertaken on behalf of Egypt. We're supporting that initiative,Rice said. "I've been in very close discussions with my Arab...
- Ismail Haniyeh in Palestine Media Center
We have said from the days of our election campaign that we want to move toward economic disengagement from the Israeli occupation,Haniyeh told the pro-Hamas daily Palestine. "Egypt has a greater ability to meet the needs of Gaza."
- Nicolas Sarkozy in USA Today
We must put an end to the arms traffic,French President Nicolas Sarkozy said. "Several of our countries have proposed ...... to make available to Israel and Egypt all the technical, diplomatic and military - notably naval - means to help...