- a producing or capable of producing an intended result or having a striking effect
an air-cooled motor was more effective than a witch's broomstick for rapid long-distance transportation"-LewisMumford
effective teaching methods
effective steps toward peace
made an effective entrance
- s able to accomplish a purpose; functioning effectively
people who will do nothing unless they get something out of it for themselves are often highly effective persons..."-G.B.Shaw
- s works well as a means or remedy
an effective reprimand
a lotion that is effective in cases of prickly heat
- s exerting force or influence
the law is effective immediately
- s existing in fact; not theoretical; real
a decline in the effective demand
confused increased equipment and expenditure with the quantity of effective work done
- s ready for service
the fort was held by about 100 effective soldiers
- If you have to sell a house, you're probably wondering what's the smartest, most cost-effective approach.
- How would you rate the effectiveness of the Brady Bill and the assault-weapons ban in preventing the illegal use and distribution of guns? 0.
- An experimental drug no one expected to work is surprisingly effective at rooting out cholesterol.
News & Articles
- Red Sox back effective Lackey, halt Baltimore drought
Mike Carp and Jonny Gomes homered to back an effective pitching performance by John Lackey, and the Boston Red Sox beat the Orioles 5-4 Saturday to end a five-game losing streak in Baltimore.
June 16, 2013 - CBS Sports
- Effective Communications Month: Tips for navigating common workplace situations
(6/14) by Halley Bock, CEO Fierce, Inc. June is Effective Communications Month, but honing effective conversation skills should be a year-round endeavor. Effective Communications Month simply serves as a reminder to remain honest and transparent, to value a healthy debate, and to consistently seek and encourage multiple perspectives. To get you started, here are four common workplace situations ...
June 14, 2013 - HR.BLR.com
- Lilly says arthritis pill effective in mid-stage study
(Reuters) - Eli Lilly and Co and Incyte Corp said their experimental drug was effective in reducing painful symptoms associated with rheumatoid arthritis after 52 weeks of treatment. The drug, baricitinib, is part of a new family of medicines called JAK inhibitors that block enzymes believed to be involved in the inflammatory process. If approved, the pill will compete against injected ...
June 13, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Mel Martinez in Bizjournals.com
In a message from his office, Martinez said he would "step down from public office, effective on a successor taking office to fill out the remainder of my term."
- Ben Bernanke in The Australian
Although conventional interest rate policy is constrained by the fact that nominal interest rates cannot fall below zero, the second arrow in the Federal Reserve's quiver - the provision of liquidity - remains effective,Mr Bernanke said.
- Roger Goodell in USA Today
Goodell said he did not suspend Belichick because, "The discipline I am imposing of a maximum fine and forfeiture of a first-round draft choice, or multiple draft choices, is in fact more significant and long-lasting, and therefore more effective,...