- s swollen with an excessive accumulation of fluid
- His feet puffed up with dropsical swelling.
- As if to distance himself from his imitators, Picasso then went to the opposite extreme of embracing the classical past, with his paintings of huge dropsical women dreaming .
- When the "huge, dropsical monster" known as the Associated Gas Electric System was finally driven into reorganization proceedings in 1940, 40% of its billion-dollar.
- Charles Dickens in BBC News
Dickens described "a tavern of dropsical appearance...... long settled down into a state of hale infirmity" with "corpulent windows in diminishing piles".