dopa : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n amino acid that is formed in the liver and converted into dopamine in the brain
- As a result, L-dopa, although subject to unprecedented safeguards because of its undesirable side effects, now becomes available for general prescription use.
- Pharmacologists have been searching for 30 years for a drug to combine effectively with L-dopa and mute the turbocharger effect, but none has emerged.
- May I suggest instead that the L-dopa causes the patients to believe, gullibly and irrationally, that the nurses would encourage and welcome their advances?.
- Paul Greengard in News-Medical.net
Blocking the dopamine D1 receptor is not a treatment option for L-DOPA-induced side effects, since it would diminish the therapeutic efficiency of L-DOPA,says Greengard, who is Vincent Astor Professor and head of the Laboratory of Molecular...