- n a lateen-rigged sailing vessel used by Arabs
- Regardless of the destination, sailing in a dhow is worth the (always variable) price.
- Inevitably, its reputation spread, and now tourism has supplanted dhow building and agriculture as the chief income earner on the island.
- The vessel attacked by the marines was nothing more than a rickety old fishing dhow, and the eight men arrested are likely to be quickly replaced by hundreds of other pirates .
News & Articles
- Pirate attack off Somalia thwarted by EU Naval Force
Pirate attack: The EU Naval Force says 14 Indian sailors aboard a dhow alerted officials Wednesday that their craft was under attack from 12 armed pirates.
June 7, 2013 - The Christian Science Monitor
- Somali pirate attack thwarted by EU Naval Force
MOGADISHU, Somalia — The European Union Naval Force says Somali pirates who took control of a cargo vessel with 14 Indian sailors on board fled after counter piracy ships from the EU and NATO responded. The EU Naval Force says 14 Indian sailors aboard a dhow alerted officials Wednesday that their craft was under attack from 12 armed pirates. Swedish and Dutch warships responded. The pirates then ...
June 7, 2013 - Boston Herald