- n a decorative musical accompaniment (often improvised) added above a basic melody
- v sing in descant
- v sing by changing register; sing by yodeling
- v talk at great length about something of one's interest
- Broken down, the Mississippi vote had an unmistakable racial descant and unmistakable limits for Obama.
- Incense hangs in the air as the choir's descant reverberates off the highly polished walls of the Greek-style interior.
- But Rumsfeld's memofor an Administration that had been touting its achievements overseas relentlessly for monthsread like a grim descant of doubt at odds with the more .