- v add nonfissionable material to (fissionable material) so as to make unsuitable for use in an atomic bomb
- v modify (as a native protein) especially by heat, acid, alkali, or ultraviolet radiation so that all of the original properties are removed or diminished
- v make (alcohol) unfit for drinking without impairing usefulness for other purposes
- The big problem was how to denature plutonium, produced by elaborate equipment from the mixture of U-235 and U-238.
- Meanwhile, the Government and the learned bootlegger waged chemical warfare, the one trying to denature industrial alcohol, the other trying to renature it for beverage purposes.
- For the past three years Treasury Department chemistswhose duty it was to denature tax-free industrial alcohol long before Prohibitionhave been busy seeking a substitute .