- n the property of being an amount by which something is less than expected or required
new blood vessels bud out from the already dilated vascular bed to make up the nutritional deficit
- n a deficiency or failure in neurological or mental functioning
the people concerned have a deficit in verbal memory
they have serious linguistic deficits
- n (sports) the score by which a team or individual is losing
- n an excess of liabilities over assets (usually over a certain period)
last year there was a serious budgetary deficit
- THE RETURN OF ROSS PEROT HAS BROUGHT THE FEDERAL budget deficit, like an unwelcome guest, back to the center of national debate.
- The state is facing a gigantic deficit, and life in the country's richest and most populous state isn't going to be the same.
- President-elect Barack Obama said Tuesday the deficit appears on track to hit $1 trillion soon.
News & Articles
- Japan's trade deficit climbs to $10.5B in May
Japan's trade deficit climbs to $10.5B in May Associated Press Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Updated 12:19 am, Wednesday, June 19, 2013 A weakening in the yen's value has pushed up costs for imports of crude oil, natural gas and other commodities for this resource-scarce nation, but the deficit ...
June 24, 2013 - seattlepi.com
- Some say tax cut put OS in deficit mode
Some say tax cut put OS in deficit mode Associated Press Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Updated 8:04 am, Sunday, June 23, 2013 Dalgo, who had served on the city's finance committee, ran the numbers and said a 2-mill reduction would save the average homeowner in Ocean Springs about the price of a ...
June 23, 2013 - San Francisco Chronicle
- Deficit cut from immigration good if true: Boehner
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) - The deficit-cutting effects of the Senate's immigration-overhaul bill would be "a boon for the country" if an analysis of it is accurate, House Speaker John Boehner said Thursday. Earlier this week, the Congressional Budget Office found that the Senate bill would cut the deficit by $197 billion over the coming decade. Boehner said he has asked House Budget Committee ...
June 20, 2013 - Market Watch
- David Cameron in Daily Star
Mr Cameron said: "We have some deep and pressing problems - a huge deficit, deep social problems, a political system in need of reform."
- Barack Obama in USA Today
By the time I'm finished speaking ...... more Americans will have lost their health insurance,Obama told members of Congress. "Millions will lose it this year. Our deficit will grow. Premiums will go up. Co-pays will go up. ...... I will...
- John Kerry in TIME (blog)
Today, the Congressional Budget Office has sent Congress a powerful message: our comprehensive energy and climate bill will slash America's deficit by over $19 billion,said Sens. Kerry and Lieberman. "There is no more room for excuses -...