- n the quality possessed by something with a great price or value
- As Thomas Jefferson said: "No nation is drunken where wine is cheap; and none sober where the dearness of wine substitutes ardent spirits as the common beverage.
- Thomas Paine in American Daily
Thomas Paine warned, "What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
- Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi in Economic Times
The proposal would benefit employees following Industrial Dearness Allowance (IDA) pattern of pay scales in CPSEs which are in a position to absorb the additional expenditure without budgetary support,Information and Broadcasting Minister...
- BN Srikrishna in MSN India
The overall hike works out to 40 per cent over the last Pay Commission. If one includes the last dearness allowance (DA) hike given in 2004, the effective hike works out to 28 per cent,said Justice BN Srikrishna, chairman of the commission.