- n an insecticide that is also toxic to animals and humans; banned in the United States since 1972
News & Articles
- *SPOILERS* WWE Main Event Tapings for 6/19/13
* The Miz, Cody Rhodes and Josh Mathews are out for commentary. * The Shield vs. The Usos and Justin Gabriel is up first. The Shield gets the win after Dean Ambrose hits a DDT on Gabriel.
June 18, 2013 - Lords of Pain
- Falcons mount a comeback, with some help
Peregrine falcons made a dramatic recovery after DDT was banned in 1973. A captive breeding and release program helped increase their numbers, and they were removed from the endangered species list in 1999. There are now between 2,000 and 3,000 nesting pairs in North America.
June 17, 2013 - Minnesota Public Radio
- Falcons are flying high again, and Xcel's played a part
BECKER, Minn. — Four decades ago, watching a peregrine falcon soaring through the sky east of the Mississippi River wasn't possible. The fast-flying raptors hovered on the brink of extinction after widespread use of the pesticide DDT reduced their ability to produce viable eggs.
June 17, 2013 - Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune
- Dr Arata Kochi in BBC News
Of the dozen insecticides WHO has approved as safe for house spraying, the most effective is DDT,said Arata Kochi, director of the WHO's Global Malaria Programme.
- Alexander King in Town Hall
Alexander King, co-founder of the Club of Rome, said, "In Guyana, within almost two years, it had almost eliminated malaria, but at the same time, the birth rate had doubled. So my chief quarrel with DDT in hindsight is that it greatly added to the...
- Barack Obama in Washington Post
WHO faces a double challenge - a commitment to the goal of drastically and sustainably reducing the burden of vector-borne diseases, in particular malaria, and at the same time a commitment to the goal of reducing reliance on DDT in disease vector... Margaret Chan http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Chan&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHSUPc4zFZyYYS6jVCTUnvFbp5bSA Capital FM http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/Local/UN-in-new-efforts-against-Malaria-4298.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHGlSMf2UOqo1kpasvepxRAzaKP2w May 6, 2009
25108 33962 de-emphasize Obama, outlining his foreign policy ideas in the latest edition of Foreign Affairs magazine, said the United States and Russia should work together to de-emphasize the role of nuclear weapons," and avoid rushing to produce a new generation of...