- n (meteorology) rapid inward circulation of air masses about a low pressure center; circling counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern
- n a violent rotating windstorm
- A humanitarian crisis looms in the aftermath of a tropical cyclone that has killed at least 22,000 people.
- Government officials, all but absent since cyclone Nargis killed tens of thousands across Burma, pressed ahead with a referendum Saturday in villages still reeling from the .
- Even before the cyclone hit, Rangoon was reeling from the price hikes that had sparked last year's civil protests; additional increases could push tens of thousands of shantytown .
News & Articles
- Cyclone athletes qualify 28 entries for State Track Meet
GLENWOOD (May 9) -- The Harlan Community track teams didn’t bring home any championship banners Thursday night - ending an eight-year run for the Cyclone girls in that department - but HCHS certainly won’t be short on participants at this week’s state meet in Des Moines.
June 15, 2013 - The Harlan Tribune
- Cyclone girls score 6-0 win at A-H-S-T
AVOCA -- The Harlan Community girls soccer team knocked in four first-half goals and cruised to a 6-0 win over A-H-S-T’s first-year varsity program on Thursday afternoon. The Cyclones improved to 6-1 with the win and added a 1-0 home win over Atlantic on Friday.
June 14, 2013 - The Harlan Tribune
- Cyclone Kicks-Off Engine Commercialization Program With The Ohio State University's Center for Automotive Research
Cyclone Power Technologies Inc. , developer of the all-fuel, clean-tech Cyclone Engine, announced today that it has commenced its development and testing program with The Ohio State University's prestigious ...
June 12, 2013 - Marketwired via Yahoo! Finance
- Robert Gates in The Age
Our ships and aircraft awaited country approval so they could act promptly to save thousands of lives -- approval of the kind granted by Indonesia immediately after the 2004 tsunami and by Bangladesh after a fierce cyclone just last November,...
- Benjamin Franklin in International Herald Tribune
To put this development in perspective - no tropical cyclone in the historical record has ever reached this intensity at a faster rate near landfall. It would be nice to know, someday, why this happened,Franklin said.
- Ban Ki-moon in Thaindian.com (blog)
UN Secretary General Ban ki-moon said: "I am very saddened by all the Myanmese people having been struck by this cyclone. The UN will do whatever to provide urgent humanitarian assistance".