- n a baby bed with sides and rockers
- n where something originated or was nurtured in its early existence
- n birth of a person
he was taught from the cradle never to cry
- n a trough that can be rocked back and forth; used by gold miners to shake auriferous earth in water in order to separate the gold
- v hold gently and carefully
He cradles the child in his arms
- v bring up from infancy
- v hold or place in or as if in a cradle
He cradled the infant in his arms
- v cut grain with a cradle scythe
- v wash in a cradle
- v run with the stick
- Last but certainly not least, the AV30 attaches to a cradle that lets it record video from a cable box or VCR or anything else that has a yellow "video out" jack.
- At 375,000 years old, it put England in contention for a cradle of humankind, being found in the Sussex town of Piltdown.
- The lipstick charging cradle might protect the headset from some damage, but it leaves the call button, the most vulnerable part of the product, exposed.
News & Articles
- The Cradle Rocks Again at City Center
Marc Blitzstein's 1937 musical The Cradle Will Rock has one of the most celebrated origin stories in the history of American theatre. It was written for the Federal Theatre Project to be directed by Orson Welles and produced by John Houseman, but the FTP, responding to intense pressure from Congress, abruptly closed the politically pointed show. The theatre was locked, the costumes seized and ...
June 22, 2013 - Playbill
- The battle of the Winthrop Hospital bands
The Arrhythmics win the Winthrop cup! The first annual Battle of the Winthrop-University Hospital Bands was a rousing success at the Cradle of Aviation in Garden City on Friday, March 8th.
June 21, 2013 - Garden City News
- Ford focused on reducing emissions
Cradle-to-grave is probably not a phrase you want associated with vehicles. The environmental impacts of a product from materials acquisition through product disposal is more analytically known as life-cycle assessment. In the vehicle industry it is known as well-to-wheel, and it assesses totally energy consumption to make a car. The concept is becoming more prevalent in the minds of U.S ...
June 18, 2013 - Chicago Tribune
- Mark Shurtleff in ABC News
All these girls are taught from the cradle not to trust anybody from the outside,Shurtleff said. "Especially the government. We're the beast. We're the devil."
- Barack Obama in USA Today
And Obama called finally on the Golden Rule, describing it as "a belief that pulsed in the cradle of civilization, and that still beats in the heart of billions. It's a faith in other people, and it's what brought me here today."
- Mike Huckabee in Forbes
Huckabee says his time as a minister is what sets him apart from other presidential candidates, giving him "cradle to grave" perspective on the struggles of ordinary Americans.