- n early spring flower common in British isles having fragrant yellow or sometimes purple flowers
- n swamp plant of Europe and North America having bright yellow flowers resembling buttercups
- Sturdy though she is, Miss Marple seems off balance in Dillmouth, away from her cowslip wine, her knitting, her garden and especially her friends.
- Physiologist Erasmus Darwin, who drank little except cowslip wine, announced flatly in 1794: "I have seen no person afflicted with gout who has not drank freely of fermented liquor.
- Three Princetonians who overlooked something as rare as a cowslip from Mars.