- n any of numerous tropical marine gastropods of the genus Cypraea having highly polished usually brightly marked shells
- She told him it was a popular pastime for women and girls when she was growing up, and that she had played it with her aunts on wooden boards, using cowrie shells for dice.
- For this mother-to-be, Thompson created a design based on cowrie shells.
- The men may use the proceeds to buy cowrie shells, still the currency of choice in remote villages, which are then used to buy pigs, which in turn are used to buy wives.
News & Articles
- Love for cowrie shells enhances textiles
Cowrie shells are one of my favorite natural elements. I can't explain what the attraction is, but anything adorned with them gets my immediate, undivided attention.
Feb. 7, 2014 - Detroit News