- n an envious eagerness to possess something
- n extreme greed for material wealth
- n reprehensible acquisitiveness; insatiable desire for wealth (personified as one of the deadly sins)
- Seven were the sinspride, covetousness, lust, anger, gluttony, envy and sloth that the early Christian theologians labeled capital, or deadly, on the ground that they led .
- Drug dealers lurk in the alley; nihilist rock 'n' roll wafts up from the storm sewer; the culture of covetousness is everywhere.
- In Wants, a woman concludes that her 27-year marriage ended mostly because of her lack of simple, binding covetousness.