counterplay : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n (chess) an attack that is intended to counter the opponent's advantage in another part of the board
- His skillful treatment of the shadow areas, loosely applied and transparent against the counterplay of opaque lights, is technically similar to the methods of Louis David and .
- Still, the coal operators tried a counterplay late Tuesday night.
- Looking four to eight moves ahead, they examine every possible play and counterplay and choose the move that minimizes their opponent's gain.
- Anatoly Karpov in FOXNews
Karpov called it "too risky," but Kramnik thought it was necessary, otherwise "I would be without counterplay."