- n the attire worn in a play or at a fancy dress ball
he won the prize for best costume
- n unusual or period attire not characteristic of or appropriate to the time and place
in spite of the heat he insisted on his woolen costume
- n the prevalent fashion of dress (including accessories and hair style as well as garments)
- n the attire characteristic of a country or a time or a social class
he wore his national costume
- v dress in a costume
- v furnish with costumes; as for a film or play
- In a recent poll, the emerald green dress worn by Keira Knightley in Atonement has been voted the best film costume of all time.
- Some costumes are more uncomfortable than others.
- From the Duke of Westminster, Chanel's most renowned amour, came more jewels: these she had copied, setting off the costume-jewelry vogue.
- Paul Giamatti in International Herald Tribune
Well, this was a helluva job, a helluva job, this little costume drama we put on,Giamatti said.
- President Bush in Edmonton Sun
This morning I was with the vice-president,Bush told a gathering of grocery manufacturers. "I was asking him what costume he was planning. He said, 'Well, I'm already wearing it.' Then he mumbled something about the dark side of the...
- Greg Pak in Ha'aretz
I would like to announce that due to pressures and threats from a certain animal rights group, I will be changing the genuine fox fur on my free program costume that I will use in the 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver, BC, to white faux... Johnny Weir http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Weir&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNESOvF0bsZNqKcotPIiTy6F7AVCJA ESPN http://www.google.com/url?q=http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index%3Fid%3D4877567&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEf1QeqAEswZWwQYan1pR_tA8I04w Feb 1, 2010
22751 30505 costumed This isn't a fantasy about a costumed superhero changing the course of history," Pak told The Shmooze. "This is the story of a Jewish boy and his family struggling to survive."