- n largest and lowest member of the violin family
- s pitched an octave below normal bass instrumental or vocal range
contrabass or double-bass clarinet
- Full-throated blares, splintery muted phrases, the crooning tones of the soprano trombone, the rumble of its contrabass relativeall seemed to accelerate in a circular motion .
- Low B flat, the lowest tone in music that is not just a grunt, is sounded in orchestras by the contrabassoon or the contrabass tuba.
- Sometimes his right hand, sometimes his left, flew from the keyboard long enough to let his will be emphatically known to violinists, 'cellists, viola and contrabass players.
News & Articles
Contrabass virtuoso Bert Turetzky joined forces with Chuck Perrin to present a night of bass and poetry -- specifically the works of Pablo Neruda and Jack Kerouac -- to a large and attentive audience on June 14 at Dizzy's in Pacific Beach.
June 16, 2013 - San Diego Reader
- Cachao Lopez in MiamiHerald.com
I played contrabass with the Havana Philharmonic for 30 years,says Cachao, who first joined the orchestra at the age of 13.
- Andy Garcia in Times Online
As Garcia told me by phone from LA: "I was in a store, and saw this album with a cover showing a guy holding a big contrabass like a guitar, and all these crazy guys smiling. It was a record that changed my life. As I learnt later from other...
- Akira Ifukube in San Francisco Chronicle
Originally, the sound department was trying to use the sounds of elephants, lions and eagles, but none of these recordings turned out to be useful,says Ifukube, 89. "So I proposed the idea to use the sound of a contrabass, which has a very...