conceit : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n feelings of excessive pride
- n an elaborate poetic image or a far-fetched comparison of very dissimilar things
- n a witty or ingenious turn of phrase
he could always come up with some inspired off-the-wall conceit
- n an artistic device or effect
the architect's brilliant conceit was to build the house around the tree
- n the trait of being unduly vain and conceited; false pride
- Then again, when the conceit works, you may wind up with Its a Wonderful Life, Defending Your Life or the various iterations of Heaven Can Wait.
- Then again, when the conceit works, you may wind up with Its a Wonderful Life, Defending Your Life or the various iterations of Heaven Can Wait .
- The conceit that makes this reciprocity possible one of those symptom-free incurable diseases that so frequently befall movie characters may be hard to swallow, but once .
News & Articles
- Film Review: Before Midnight
Alongside “biopsy,” “trilogy” might be my least favorite word. Don't get me wrong, the three Lord Of The Rings movies were an impressive cinematic achievement, the Bourne triptych was consistently topnotch and Krzysztof Kieslowski's Three Colours is near perfect in execution. But, as a silver screen conceit, most trilogies test my patience and inevitably disappoint along the way. Not so for the ...
June 14, 2013 - Detroit Metro Times
- Review: ABC Family's 'Twisted' might be a killer teen drama
The dreamy young guy with a troubled past makes for a promising setup in a new show debuting right after 'Pretty Little Liars.' So many shows begin with the death of a young person that it seems only fair one should turn the conceit on its head. "Twisted," which premieres Tuesday on ABC Family, attempts to discover what might happen if a young man who murdered his aunt returns to his idyllic ...
June 11, 2013 - Los Angeles Times
- 'This Is the End': Seth Rogen brings about star-studded apocalypse
Seth Rogen and his co-director / co-writer Evan Goldberg have worried the film's conceit could be more disaster than comedy but say they've hit their stride. NEW ORLEANS — The music is blaring inside James Franco's house and there's booze — and drugs — everywhere. Actor Michael Cera is snorting lines of cocaine, while comedian Aziz Ansari is trying (and failing) to hook up with Rihanna. Dozens ...
June 10, 2013 - Los Angeles Times
- Brandon Lang in Forbes
There is jealousy that runs rampant in this business,Lang said. "They mix up his confidence with conceit. He's one of the sharpest people I have ever met."
- Roger Corman in Shanghai Daily
Price became "almost an alter ego of Poe himself," Corman says. "I think there was almost a semi-autobiographical conceit to these stories. (The heroes) weren't always Poe himself, but I think they were expressions of some aspects of his...
- John Paul Stevens in National Journal (blog)
The conceit that corporations must be treated identically to natural persons in the politicalsphere is not only inaccurate but also inadequate to justify the Court's disposition of this case,Stevens wrote. "The Court's ruling threatens to...