compulsive : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a person with a compulsive disposition; someone who feels compelled to do certain things
- s caused by or suggestive of psychological compulsion
- s strongly motivated to succeed
- Hatterer terms compulsive behavior such as excessive smoking, gambling, running, spending or work as ''soft addictions'' because the consequences are not immediately felt by the .
- Separating the salt and pepper shakers or worrying whether the cutlery is clean enough are just some of the woes that can befall obsessive-compulsive diners.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder is marked by recurring irrational fears that lead to obsessive behaviors like washing the hands or checking door locks repeatedly to calm anxiety about .
News & Articles
- Housing options for people with mental health issues vary greatly across Ohio
For years in Richmond, Va., and then Newark, Ohio, Larry Racette spent his Supplemental Security Income check on booze and drugs to mask his schizoid personality disorder, dissociative fugue, depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder.
June 16, 2013 - Zanesville Times Recorder
- 10 Signs You May Have OCD
Hooked on hand sanitizer? Closet organized to a T? Quirks like this can usually be chalked up to personality or preference, but in some cases they may point to a more serious issue: obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), a condition marked by obsessive thoughts and compulsions that affects about 1 percent of U.S. adults.
June 14, 2013 - ABC News
- Brain circuits link obsessive-compulsive behavior and obesity
( University of Iowa Health Care ) A University of Iowa-led study suggests that the brain circuits that control obsessive-compulsive behavior are intertwined with circuits that control food intake and body weight. The team bred mice with a genetic mutation known to cause obesity, and suspected to also be involved in compulsive behavior, with a genetic mouse model of compulsive grooming. The ...
June 10, 2013 - EurekAlert!
- Nancy Baym in Times of India
Different people have different reasons for compulsive Facebook use,Baym said.
- David Beckham in China Daily
I've got this obsessive compulsive disorder where I have to have everything in a straight line or everything has to be in pairs,Beckham said in the interview. "I'll put my Pepsi cans in the fridge and if there's one too many then I'll put...
- Carrie Underwood in Times of India
Underwood says, "I'm slightly obsessive-compulsive about what I eat, more than I should be. I write down everything I eat. I started doing it last year. And in the last year is when I've gotten more healthy and lost weight."