- n a remark (or act) expressing praise and admiration
- v say something to someone that expresses praise
He complimented her on her last physics paper
- v express respect or esteem for
- When a Clinton strategist said Barack Obamas supporters look like Facebook, Chris Hughes took it as a compliment.
- The rapper All $tar has been Nashvilles next big hip-hop thing for so long that the title has stopped seeming like a compliment.
- The compliment, I appreciate that you didnt bring Joe Biden.
- John McCain in FOXNews
As many of you know I've been called a maverick, somebody who marches to the beat of his own drum and sometimes it's meant as a compliment and sometimes it's meant as a criticism,McCain told more than 1,000 voters in a high school gymnasium...
- Richard Dreyfuss in BBC News
Scheider's Jaws co-star Richard Dreyfuss said: "He was a wonderful guy. He was what I call a knockaround actor. A knockaround actor to me is a compliment that means a professional that lives the life of a professional actor and doesn't yell and...
- Miroslav Klose in FOXNews
It's a huge compliment, and thanks to the team I've had a lot of goal opportunities,Klose said. "I'd be happier to be a world champion than to pass one person or another."