cloture : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a rule for limiting or ending debate in a deliberative body
- v terminate debate by calling for a vote
cloture the discussion
- For every filibuster the cloture is invoked and its number has increased significantly in the past years.
- Some British parliamentarians held the view that the cloture was actually modification of restrictions on debates.
- There was no commitment to vote against the cloture and the vote went through and the filibuster was cut off.
News & Articles
- Immigration Fix Up for Pivotal Senate Vote
A typical procedural vote in the Senate could mean life or death for immigration overhaul. The Senate today is expected to take up cloture in a simple vote on whether to continue debate on the 'border surge' amendment proposed last week to rescue the faltering bill.
June 24, 2013 - ABC News
- Reid moves to end immigration debate
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid moved Monday to end the debate on the immigration bill, filing a motion to set up final filibuster votes for Wednesday. As he opened the session Monday afternoon, Mr. Reid made the parliamentary move to schedule the cloture vote — moving to keep to his ...
June 24, 2013 - The Washington Times
- Senate immigration bill advances with support of 52 Democrats, 15 Republicans
WASHINGTON -- The Senate voted Monday to set time limits on debate over a sweeping immigration immigration bill, paving the way for likely passage later in the week.The vote was 67-27, seven more than needed. Supporting cloture were 52 Democrats...
June 24, 2013 - New Orleans Times-Picayune
- Ben Nelson in msnbc.com
If it's not at the point where I think it needs to be with the improvements that I'm pushing -- and they've made a lot of them -- then I will not vote for cloture on the motion to end debate,Nelson said in an interview on KLIN radio in Nebraska.
- Robert Menendez in Guardian Unlimited
This action does nothing to allay my concerns about the increasingly right-wing tilt to these proceedings, and it makes it more difficult to vote in favor of invoking cloture on the bill,Menendez said, referring to Thursday's crucial vote to...