chlorine : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a common nonmetallic element belonging to the halogens; best known as a heavy yellow irritating toxic gas; used to purify water and as a bleaching agent and disinfectant; occurs naturally only as a salt (as in sea water)
- These systems are the most popular and the most effective in reducing so-called aesthetic contaminants like chlorine and sediment.
- It has since announced the production of two generations of chlorine-free cooling units, well before the Montreal Accords or the still unratified Kyoto Accords have come into play.
- Volcanic chlorine, for example, is water soluble, so it is quickly removed by rain.
News & Articles
- Chlorine Sickens 5 At Philly Gym
Too much chlorine in the pool causes five people to get sick at a gym in Northeast Philadelphia. Skyfox flew the L.A. Fitness on Grant Avenue around 12:30 pm, Friday afternoon.Several emergency vehicles
June 14, 2013 - FOX 29 Philadelphia
- Chlorine leak at West Point water plant
WEST POINT - West Point and Orange County hazardous materials crews responded to a chlorine leak at the Lusk Water Treatment Plant around 12:30 p.m. Thursday.
June 13, 2013 - Middletown Times Herald-Record
- Chlorine Institute Reaction to U.S. Court of Appeals PTC Decision
ARLINGTON, Va., June 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Frank Reiner, President of The Chlorine Institute ( www.chlorineinstitute.org ), issued the following statement in response to Tuesday's decision by the U.S. ...
June 12, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance
- Madhu Koda in Hindu Business Line
I was told that an unused chlorine cylinder had been lying in the plant for the last 10 years, and the gas leaked from that cylinder,Mr Koda, who visited the hospital here this morning to inquire about those admitted there, said.
- Gen James E Cartwright in CBS News
Describing the effects of hydrazine, Cartwright told CBS News, "it's similar to chlorine or to ammonia in that when you inhale it, it affects your tissues and your lungs. You know, it has the burning sensation. If you stay very close to it and...
- Jim Hightower in OpEdNews
They're under attack from every direction by every faction, every hour of every day,Hightower wrote, "hit by car bombs, roadside bombs, chlorine bombs, IEDs, suicide bombs, rocket fire, mortar rounds, snipers, and assassins. There is no...