chimney : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a vertical flue that provides a path through which smoke from a fire is carried away through the wall or roof of a building
- n a glass flue surrounding the wick of an oil lamp
- Six months ago Kiyoshi Tanabe won fame and a strike for fellow factory employes by sitting grimly on a factory chimney for 129 hours, disregarding all the blandishments of the .
- Hundreds of rescuers searched Thursday for about 20 people believed still trapped under the rubble of a large chimney that collapsed on workers at a power plant in central India .
- After drilling a well to the top of the chimney, they will tap off gas freed by the explosion and test it for radioactivity.
News & Articles
- Chimney Rock
Visions of Chimney Rock will take place from 4:30-6:30 p.m. This free program takes a particular topic and explores it in depth. This is a kids-friendly, typically hands-on program limited to a small group, so reservations are required. Reservations for events can be made at www.recreation.gov.
June 15, 2013 - The Pagosa Springs Sun
- New Visions of Chimney Rock Program
Chimney Rock Interpretive Association would like to invite you and your family to the Visions of Chimney Rock Program on Sunday, June 16.
June 13, 2013 - The Pagosa Springs Sun
- Duck in the damper — fowl found in Barrington chimney
David Kopec was in for a little surprise when he attempted to clean the chimney at an Olive Lane home recently. The co-owner of A-Tec Chimney Sweeps could see the six inches of ash sitting in the bottom of the fireplace, but he was completely unaware of the male wood duck that was sitting on [...]
June 13, 2013 - Barrington Times
- Conan O Brien in The Associated Press
This is the only way I can sing Thom Yorke songs, as a 19th-century chimney sweep with a top hat and a smudge on my cheek,O'Brien said.
- Lou Nanne in ESPN
He was one of the first real characters in the NHL,Nanne said. "He had a lot of personality and really showed the human side of the game. He didn't look like an athlete and smoked like a chimney between periods, but he was terrific when he...
- Paul Jewell in Times Online
When asked about the Barnes deal, Jewell replied: "Very nice. It'sa nice Christmas present - I just wish I knew about it. Maybe Santa Claus will drop the cheque down the chimney tonight. But I know nothing about it. What I do know for a fact is that...