chestnut : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n wood of any of various chestnut trees of the genus Castanea
- n any of several attractive deciduous trees yellow-brown in autumn; yield a hard wood and edible nuts in a prickly bur
- n edible nut of any of various chestnut trees of the genus Castanea
- n the brown color of chestnuts
- n a small horny callus on the inner surface of a horse's leg
- n a dark golden-brown or reddish-brown horse
- s (of hair or feathers) of a golden brown to reddish brown color
a chestnut horse
- The man who boasts about gathering chestnuts as a barefoot boy is usually owning up to getting on in years.
- Last week a hardy old chestnut, still to be cracked, was picked over for the umpteenth time.
- The American chestnut tree used to flourish from the Atlantic to the Mississippi, from the Canadian frontier to North Carolina.