certiorari : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a common law writ issued by a superior court to one of inferior jurisdiction demanding the record of a particular case
- I have only one object in mind and that is to go to the United States Supreme Court and fight this case on a petition for writ of certiorari and to prove the right to acknowledge .
- The Supreme Court granted certiorari and reversed by a five-to-four vote.
- Once the Supreme Court is able to review the certiorari petitions and responses, I doubt the court will maintain the stay, he said.
News & Articles
- The week in review: June 10-14
The Court has transitioned to its end-of-Term schedule, releasing opinions on two action-packed days this week. We have seven opinions and one certiorari grant. That means there are just nineteen opinions to go before we put this Term to bed – and several of them raise exceptionally high-profile and contentious issues, including affirmative action, Section [...]
June 14, 2013 - SCOTUSblog
- County Readies for Court Fight over FitzPatrick’s Taxes
Legislators agreed to hire the law firm of Hacker Murphy to defend the county in this litigation. They also approved a professional services contract for appraisal and related technical services to George E. Sansoucy and Cost Plus Consulting regarding the plant’s appraisal. And the county agreed to enter into an intermunicipal agreement with the town and district in regards to the tax certiorari ...
June 14, 2013 - Oswego County Today
- Eugene Volokh in Washington Post
Due to today's decision by the United States Supreme Court affirming the use of lethal injection, we anticipate that the United States Supreme Court will issue an order on Monday denying the petition for writ of certiorari filed by Earl Wesley... Jim Hood http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Hood&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNERus5ToIQlkZkg-caPh4GvplsyDQ Jackson Clarion Ledger http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article%3FAID%3D/20080416/NEWS/80416027/1001&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGYyBG98NRmgYKNkgpjwwb_gdkVig Apr 16, 2008
16364 22777 certiorari Justice Marshall's job was to decide whether to grant certiorari based on whether the court's decision was likely to clarify or improve the law," Volokh wrote recently.