- n a state of peace agreed to between opponents so they can discuss peace terms
- The cease-fire between India and Pakistan last week passed into its sixth tense week with not the slightest prospect for a settlement.
- One of Pakistan's most notorious militant leaders, Baitullah Mehsud, has declared a cease-fire in the troubled Waziristan region bordering Afghanistan.
- For 40 days, the Kaesong cease-fire talks had been stalled.
News & Articles
- Price: French president says Mali rebels will not mar July elections
ANALYSIS/OPINION: French President Francois Hollande last week expressed confidence that Mali's elections will be held in July despite the West African nation's shaky security. The National Movement for the Liberation of Azawad (MNLA), which controls Mali's northern town of Kidal, has not agreed to a cease-fire ahead of the July ...
June 13, 2013 - The Washington Times
- UN chief: Syria spillover threatens Golan truce
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon warned that spillover from Syria's civil war threatens a 40-year-old cease-fire between Syria and Israel in the disputed Golan Heights and recommended bolstering the vulnerable U.N. peacekeeping force there by more than 300 troops.
June 12, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- U.N. Leader Urgently Seeks More Golan Peacekeepers
Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said Syria’s civil war was threatening the cease-fire in the disputed Golan Heights region between Israel and Syria.
June 12, 2013 - New York Times
- Condoleezza Rice in Philippine Star
Rice said she hoped European countries would work out similar bilateral agreements with Israel to "bring into being a durable cease-fire, a cease-fire that can actually hold."
- Ehud Olmert in FOXNews
This morning some of them continued their fire, provoking what we had warned of,Olmert said. "This cease-fire is fragile and we must examine it minute by minute, hour by hour."
- Khaled Mashaal in FOXNews
These are our demands and we don't accept any political movement that does not accept them,Mashaal said. "Now we are at the critical moments. There must be a cease-fire but it must meet our conditions."