- s having no justifying cause or reason
a senseless, causeless murder
a causeless war that never had an aim
- s having no cause or apparent cause
a causeless miracle
- The movies always have a place for at least one causeless rebel whose choler is both enigmatic and unappeasable.
- For evil is a concept that blossoms out of the causeless, and crimes against children seem the least explicable of human brutalities.
- Brutality in the camp was casual and causeless; what was learned in addition to parroted Marxist self-criticism was fear, hunger and aching homesickness.
- Robert Louis Stevenson in guardian.co.uk
Although wicked James, with what Stevenson called "deadly, causeless duplicity", can boast "I never yet failed to charm a person when I wanted", honest Henry's only reward for competently running the estates in his absence is the...