- n (baseball) the person who plays the position of catcher
- n the position on a baseball team of the player who is stationed behind home plate and who catches the balls that the pitcher throws
a catcher needs a lot of protective equipment
a catcher plays behind the plate
- Alas, Larsen was the loneliest man in the stadium until the final out, when catcher Yogi Berra leaped into his arms in one of the most recognizable images in baseball history.
- Now Ian Kelly, a computer scientist at the California Institute of Technology, has developed a robotic slug catcher that not only identifies and eliminates slugs but could .
- Most young catchers let flailing swings muddle their minds during the games, and a distracted backstop can ruin a pitcher's concentration.
News & Articles
- FSU catcher McGee announces he is going pro
Democrat staff report -- Junior catcher Stephen McGee, who started every Florida State game during the past two seasons, announced via Twitter on Wednesday that he is forgoing his senior season and will sign with the Los Angeles Angels.
June 13, 2013 - Tallahassee Democrat
- Calvert Hall catcher Alex Murphy passes physical with Orioles, will head to Sarasota
Orioles sixth-round pick Alex Murphy, a catcher from Calvert Hall, passed his physical Tuesday and is scheduled to leave for Sarasota, Fla., on Monday after contract terms are hammered out and approved.
June 12, 2013 - Baltimore Sun
- Dodgers catcher Ellis plays in first rehab game
Dodgers catcher A.J. Ellis, on the disabled list since May 30 with a slight left oblique strain, went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts as a designated hitter on Tuesday in his first Minor League rehab game for Class A Advanced Rancho Cucamonga.
June 11, 2013 - Major League Baseball
- Scott Boras in 940 News
Alex's decision was one based on not knowing what his closer, his catcher and one of his statured pitchers was going to do,Boras said. "He really didn't want to make any decisions until he knew what they were doing."
- Alexi Giannoulias in FOXNews
They subpoenaed any and everybody to try and get everyone involved from the president down to the dog catcher, so I think this shouldn't be surprising,Giannoulias said.
- Jon Daniels in FanHouse
Bengie brings an experience level that we were looking for,general manager Jon Daniels said. "A strong defensive catcher, experience in the postseason and in the pennant race, and handling very good pitchers."