caste : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n social status or position conferred by a system based on class
lose caste by doing work beneath one's station
- n (Hinduism) a hereditary social class among Hindus; stratified according to ritual purity
- n a social class separated from others by distinctions of hereditary rank or profession or wealth
- n in some social insects (such as ants) a physically distinct individual or group of individuals specialized to perform certain functions in the colony
- Unlike race or class, caste is not something that can be read in the color of one's skin or in the cut of one's clothes.
- Low-caste Hindus are converting to Christianity in an attempt to escape their spot at the bottom of India's social hierarchy, and sparking religious violence in the process.
- The image of mostly high-caste men feeding a Dalit (formerly "Untouchable") woman was an incredibly powerful one in a country where discrimination based on caste has been banned .
News & Articles
- Author Rodney Barfield Highlights America’s Fervent Fight for Freedom and Equality in New Book
‘America’s Forgotten Caste’ is a deeply meaningful book that highlights the successful stories of the blacks in spite of legal and social obstacles (PRWeb June 19, 2013) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/RodneyBarfield/AmericasForgottenCaste/prweb10852934.htm
June 20, 2013 - PRWeb
- Kumar's goal is sharing education
As a child growing up in rural India, Rajesh Kumar saw firsthand the limited opportunities available in his poverty-stricken environment. He wanted more for his life, and he knew that education was the key, but access to education was not readily available to the caste to which his family of farmers belonged. Kumar was given the opportunity to attend school and says it was a great blessing. “I ...
June 16, 2013 - McDuffie Mirror
- Hot Trailer: ‘Elysium’
It’s 2154, and a new caste system is in place. Earth is populated by the have-nots, while the privileged live in a veritable utopia aboard a massive spaceship. Earth-bound ne’er-do-well Max Da Costa ( Matt Damon ) gets some souped-up surgery and invades the ship monitored by Secretary of Defense Delacourt ( Jodie Foster ). Much battling ensues. Elysium is the second feature from writer-director ...
June 14, 2013 - Deadline Hollywood
- Mohammed Ali Jinnah in guardian.co.uk
Jinnah told people about to be Pakistanis that "you are free ...... you are free to go to your temples, you are free to go to your mosques or to any other place of worship in this state of Pakistan. You may belong to any religion or caste or creed -...
- Ramachandra Guha in FOXNews
We've had linguistic riots, wars with Pakistan, caste conflict, religious riots,said historian Ramachandra Guha. "We are a society that is used to living with danger and minor catastrophes and stumbling on."
- Shailendra Kumar in SINDH TODAY
We will not allow the house to function and launch an agitation if the government does not take an early decision for caste-based census,SP chief whip in Lok Sabha Shailendra Kumar told IANS.