- n a sculpture created by removing material (as wood or ivory or stone) in order to create a desired shape
- n removing parts from hard material to create a desired pattern or shape
- n creating figures or designs in three dimensions
- v form by carving
- v engrave or cut by chipping away at a surface
- v cut to pieces
- Hans Arp's rounded wood carving was called Sculpture Conjugate because his wife worked on it too.
- Giant yellow earthmovers groaned through the mud of the Transkei's capital, completing $12 million worth of new paved highways and carving out access roads to the newly completed .
- Still, you don't want to count out a rival who may come at you with an electric carving knife.
- Judge M Margaret McKeown in ABC News
Judge M. Margaret McKeown, writing for the unanimous three-judge panel, said that "carving out a tiny parcel of property in the midst of this vast preserve like a donut hole with the cross atop it will do nothing to minimize the impermissible...
- Jim Kelly in FOX News
I am honored to have a carving of me and look forward to the unveiling,said Kelly, who said the project "will touch everyone in such a positive way after such a devastating storm."
- Wolfgang Ziebart in International Herald Tribune
Carving-out and listing our memory business last year effectively created two focused companies, each with a well-defined strategy and clear prospects,Infineon Chief Executive Wolfgang Ziebart said. "With Monday's decision, we are gaining...