- n a radioactive transuranic element; discovered by bombarding curium with alpha particles
- The scientists named their creation "californium" after their state and university.
- Most of the boron bullets missed, but a few scored a bull's-eye on californium nuclei.
- As the nuclei of the nitrogen 15 and californium 249 atoms met, they fused into a single nucleus containing a total of 260 neutrons and protons (four neutrons were shed in the .
News & Articles
- Study on element could change ballgame on radioactive waste
Groundbreaking work by a team of chemists on a fringe element of the periodic table could change how the world stores radioactive waste and recycles fuel. The element is called californium -- Cf if you're looking at the Periodic Table of Elements -- and it's what researchers called "wicked stuff."
March 23, 2014 - Science Daily