- n a special election between regular elections
- In a bye-election, Clay Cross, Derbyshire returned him to the House of Commons with a three-to-one majority over the Government candidate, on a platform of peace and disarmament.
- In a parliamentary bye-election at Aylesbury, Bucks.
- His political career started in 1883 when he was elected to Parliament on a bye-election for Newcastle-on-Tyne.
- John McDonnell in BBC News
Commenting afterwards, Mr McDonnell said: "This is a huge rebellion in a bye-election week and sends out the clearest possible signal to the government that we are not doing enough on trade union rights."
- Asif Ali Zardari in Islamic Republic News Agency
Asked if he will take part in bye-elections, Zardari said the "Party will decide if I should take part in the bye-election or not. Running party is much important".
- Mulayam Singh Yadav in Indian Muslims
Knowing that the late Chandra Shekhar's son Neeraj was going to contest on the Samajwadi Party's ticket and that he was invincible, Mayawati was delaying the bye-election on one lame excuse or the other,Yadav alleged.