bycatch : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n unwanted marine creatures that are caught in the nets while fishing for another species
- Up to half the marine life caught by fishers is discarded, often dead, as bycatch, and vibrant coral forests are still being stripped bare by dragnets.
- In the process, the nets haul up everything in their path, contributing heavily to the nearly 30 million tons of damaged or dying "bycatch" that fishermen toss overboard each year.
- Jim Anderton in Environment News Service
No one wants to see seabirds being hurt or killed,said New Zealand Fisheries Minister Jim Anderton. "The government is committed to working with the fishing industry and other stakeholders to solve the problem of seabird bycatch and to...
- Loyola Hearn in Canada NewsWire (press release)
Fisheries and Oceans Canada is pleased to be contributing funding to WWF's Smart Gear competition,said the Honourable Loyola Hearn, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans. "Bycatch is a serious problem and this competition is one way that...