burqa : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a loose garment (usually with veiled holes for the eyes) worn by Muslim women especially in India and Pakistan
the Taliban forced all women to wear the burqa
- Since the full-coverage swimsuit dubbed the Burqini (as in burqa plus bikini) hit the international market in January, devout Muslim women have been snapping them up.
- Apparently filmed on a mobile phone, the video image shows two men pinning down a burqa-clad woman as a bearded man in a turban flogs her with a whip The government's agreement .
- JEAN-PHILIPPE KSIAZEK AFP Getty In his speech at Versailles, Sarkozy denounced the burqa, the all-enveloping garment worn by a tiny minority of Muslim women as "not welcome on .
- Nicolas Sarkozy in UPI.com
The burqa is not a religious sign, it's a sign of subservience, a sign of debasement, I want to say it solemnly,he said.
- Pervez Hoodbhoy in Las Vegas Sun
Through ceaseless proselytizing and subtle pressure tactics, Al-Huda has brought a majority of my university's students under the burqa,Hoodbhoy said in an e-mail. "In comparison with students of earlier decades, they are less confident,...
- Rita Verdonk in Salon
The Cabinet finds it undesirable that face-covering clothing -- including the burqa -- is worn in public places for reasons of public order, security and protection of citizens,Immigration Minister Rita Verdonk said.