- n a braking device consisting of a combination of interacting parts that work to slow a motor vehicle
- n a restraint used to slow or stop a vehicle
- n any of various ferns of the genus Pteris having pinnately compound leaves and including several popular houseplants
- n large coarse fern often several feet high; essentially weed ferns; cosmopolitan
- n an area thickly overgrown usually with one kind of plant
- n anything that slows or hinders a process
she wan not ready to put the brakes on her life with a marriage
new legislation will put the brakes on spending
- v stop travelling by applying a brake
- v cause to stop by applying the brakes
- This thing has no brakes.
- Most bike hand brakes and gears are produced overseas, and until the manufacturers catch up with back orders there will be a brake on further expansion.
- If the new brakes hold up (and earlier liquid-cooled brakes never have), Cunningham may be able to spring a major surprise on the Jaguars, Lancias and others at Le Mans.
News & Articles
- Parts Geek Announces the Expansion of its Extensive Line of Parts with the Addition of EBC Brakes
LOS ANGELES, June 24, 2013 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Parts Geek , one of the top suppliers of imported and domestic car parts and accessories, has just announced that it has added EBC brakes to its already ...
June 24, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance
- Oil jumps after stocks cut into big losses
The price of oil had a sudden burst Monday after the stock market tried to put the brakes on a four-day skid.
June 24, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Smoky brakes lead to Green Line delays
Smoke coming from the brakes of an inbound D-Train caused moderate delays for one prong of the Green Line this morning. Just before 9 a.m., passengers were offloaded at the Brookline Village T stop while the train was towed to a yard for maintenance, MBTA spokeswoman Kelly Smith said.
June 20, 2013 - Boston Globe