- n a gambler who accepts and pays off bets (especially on horse races)
- Few bookies have ever had a better cover for their activities than Martin Wanzig, 42, of Chicago.
- He cornered the $500,000-a-day California bookie business, set up a "milk run" smuggling Mexican heroin into California.
- The accusations come from runners who say they placed his bets and from a former bookie who insists he took them, but Rose declares it is all part of a conspiracy to blackmail him.
News & Articles
- Bookie Describes Being Forced to Pay Bulger Gang
Bookie describes being forced to pay Bulger gang in Mass. or risk getting hurt
June 14, 2013 - ABC News
- Bookie: Forced to pay Bulger gang
A bookmaker testifying in the racketeering trial of James "Whitey" Bulger has told jurors he once saw Bulger threaten to kill a bookie who tried to stop paying Bulger's gang and go into business for himself.
June 14, 2013 - WPRI Providence
- Bookie on disobeying Whitey: ‘You could end up in the hospital’
James “Whitey” Bulger and his crew shook down bookmakers for up to $1,000 a month in rent and controlled the sports-betting racket with an iron fist in the 1970s and ’80s, an Dorchester-bred bookie testified today at Bulger’s murder and racketeering trial. James Katz, 72, said Bulger and Stephen “The Rifleman” Flemmi’s syndicate charged $1,000 a month in “rent” during the NFL season and $500 the ...
June 14, 2013 - Boston Herald
- Younis Khan in AFP
Pakistan captain Younus Khan told the Geo television station: "No bookie has approached me. If ever one does, I will catch him and hand him over to the ICC because these people have destroyed the game."
- Claire McCaskill in BusinessWeek
You are the bookie, you are the house,said Senator Claire McCaskill, a Missouri Democrat. "You had less oversight than a pit boss in Las Vegas."
- Raymond Kelly in renewamerica.us
This history of violence has been abetted, often unwittingly, by people who see nothing wrong with placing a bet with a mobbed-up bookie,Commissioner Kelly added. "I commend detectives from our Vice Enforcement Division, who in a related...