- n a petty officer on a merchant ship who controls the work of other seamen
- Orders to "walk away handsomely" on the whip were given through the boatswain's pipe (whistle).
- Soft breezes, another boatswain bird and a sea of floating weed with a live crab still enmeshed in it pleased everyone, and "the best sailors went ahead to sight land first.
- The boatswain solemnly dispatched Brown to cut it.
News & Articles
- CGMC gets new leader
MICHIGAN CITY — Chief Boatswain Mate Josh Janney took control as Officer in Charge of the Coast Guard Michigan City (CGMC) Station at the Change of Command ceremony held on Friday at Millennium Plaza.
June 16, 2013 - The Michigan City News-Dispatch
- Henry David Thoreau in Forbes
Thoreau wrote that "there are few things more disheartening and disgusting than:to hear a preacher shouting like a boatswain in a gale of wind, and thus harshly profaning the quiet atmosphere of the day."