- v make or become black
The smoke blackened the ceiling
The ceiling blackened
- v burn slightly and superficially so as to affect color
The cook blackened the chicken breast
- The anti-French protesters are not simply a noisy, hysterical minority; many Chinese are deeply angry about what they see as a global conspiracy to blacken their nation's good name .
- He hopes to keep the wife and son he left behind from harsh treatment, gambling that Pyongyang will hesitate to further blacken its international image once his story is public.
- Before the smoke and soot from the burning coal and wood of the Industrial Revolution began to blacken the bark of England's trees, the predominant variety of peppered moth had .
News & Articles
- Flames blacken Argonne Road hillside
SPOKANE COUNTY, Wash.--A wildfire north of Spokane Valley charred .25 acres Monday afternoon. Fire crews were called to the scene along Argonne Road around 1:00 p.m. Flames blackened a hillside. Firefighters managed to contain the flames by 2:10 p.m. “It was moving a little quicker than typically what we see in June, in early year,” said Lt. Nathan Jeffries with Spokane County Fire District 9 ...
June 10, 2013 - KREM.com Spokane
- Anthony Pellicano in San Francisco Chronicle
Pellicano responds, "That's why I want to blacken this girl up, totally. I want to make her out to be a lying, scumbag, manipulative [bleep] ...... stupid [bleep]."
- Amitabh Bachchan in NDTV.com
In an interview to the Mumbai Mirror, Bachchan says, "I am not leaving this city and going anywhere. Let them burn my effigies and conduct morchas in front of my house. Let them blacken my film posters and stop screening of my films. Let them attack...
- Taslima Nasreen in Hindu
Speaking about the attack on her at Hyderabad, Taslima said "I had seen demonstrations against me in India. I have heard people issuing fatwas for beheading me and to blacken my face. But this was the first time here that I saw some people trying to...